Skip to main content

Blame or Responsibility? Point the finger!

Would you rather get blamed, or held responsible for something?

When something bad happens, I notice that there often replies about the importance of taking responsibility and frequent rebuttals about not pointing the finger or blaming. But hold on, what exactly is the difference?

According to Wikipedia (for example), blame can be defined as the act of holding responsible. Certainly, in usage, you'll see that blame is usually given, and responsibility is more often taken, but I'd say those are just tricks of language -- I can accept blame for myself and hold others responsible just as well.

So I'd like to stop pretending that this is a real difference. You may have some clever way of distinguishing between them, but for the average person, the only difference is one of implicit value (responsible = good, blame = bad), and that really doesn't help us at all when it comes to public debate or private argument.

Okay, so I'm not so naive as to think it's all a textual misunderstanding that I'm going to fix with some clever logic. I recognize that there's a good reason that we have these two words - for example, people's lives and livelihoods frequently depend on the allocation of responsibility/blame, and in most real life examples, assigning blame/responsibility is not a question of fact, but of interpretation, so suddenly power and politics and - more often than not - money is also involved. Having different words with different values allows for some clever social engineering.

But what I'd really like is to stop seeing comments with the subtext "it's wrong to blame". We make mistakes, and people with a lot of power need to be careful when assigning responsibility, but that shouldn't stop us from asking important questions about why bad things come to be, thinking about how to change them, and making tentative suggestions about the way forward.

In the media, it's done all the time with politicians and other leaders, and we consider that fair game, so let's not pretend only evil people are to blame. We all make mistakes, so can we be willing to take the blame? It doesn't have to be the end of the world.

Go ahead, point the finger. Maybe you're wrong, and let's just start by saying that's okay. Assigning blame can be the start of a beautiful conversation if you're not afraid to say or hear it.

And, if you're still reading, next on my wish list is: severe financial penalties for politicians who make knowingly false statements to the press. Doug Ford, I'm pointing my finger at you. Stephen Harper, watch your step.

Wondering about the donut? It's my credit to Earl Miles and his angry donuts.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tyee: Bricolage and Drupal Integration

The Tyee is a site I've been involved with since 2006 when I wrote the first, 4.7 version of a Drupal module to integrate Drupal content into a static site that was being generated from bricolage. About a year ago, I met with Dawn Buie and Phillip Smith and we mapped out a number of ways to improve the Drupal integration on the site, including upgrading the Drupal to version 5 from 4.7. Various parts of that grand plan have been slowly incorporated into the site, but as of next week, there'll be a big leap forward that coincides with a new design [implemented in Bricolage by David Wheeler who wrote and maintains Bricolage] as well as a new Drupal release of the Bricolage integration module . Plans Application integration is tricky, and my first time round had quite a few issues. Here's a list of the improvements in the latest version: File space separation. Before, Drupal was installed in the apache document root, which is where bricolage was publishing it's co

Refactoring My Backup Process

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to spend a few hours on a Friday afternoon improving my backup process for my Blackfly managed hosting service . Two weeks later, I've published my ongoing work as an update to my backup-rsync project and have decided to share it with you. You might think I'm trying to compete for "least click-bait like title ever", but I'm going to claim this topic and project might be of interest to anyone who likes to think about refactoring , or who is implementing backups for container-based hosting (like mine ). Definition "Backup" is one of those overloaded words in both vernacular and computer-specific use, so I want to start with definitions. Since "a backup" is amongst the least interesting objects (unless it contains what you absolutely need in that moment), I think it's more interesting and useful to define backups functionally, i.e. A "backup process" is a process that 1. provides a degree of insuranc

drupal, engagement, mailing lists, email

I lived, worked and studied in Costa Rica from 1984 to 1989. Ostensibly, I was there to study Mathematics at the University, and indeed I graduated with an MSc. in Mathematics supervised by Ricardo Estrada (check that page, he even advertises me as one of his past students). And yes, I do have a nine page thesis that I wrote and defended in Spanish somewhere in my files, on a proof and extension of one of Ramanujan's theories. But mathematics is a pretty lonely endeavour, and what drew me back to Central America (after the first visit, which was more of an accident), was the life and politics. The time I lived there was extremely interesting (for me as an outsider, though also painful and tragic for it's inhabitants) because of the various wars that were largely fuelled by US regional hegemonic interests (of the usual corporate suspects and individuals) and neglect (of the politicians and public) - the Contra war in Nicaragua, the full-scale guerrilla wars in El Salvador and