Skip to main content

TD Canada Trust and Online Security


For the past few weeks I've been unable to access the TDEasyweb site. Today I discovered that it's because "TD made a corporate decision to only support Windows and Mac".

I have a few problems with this. Personally, it's a hassle because I can no longer use their easyweb site unless I go borrow someone else's computer. This seems like an anti-security measure. It's extra insult because of the way it was not communicated responsibly.

I have a bigger problem because the response I got when I talked to a manager was that the only way of dealing with it was to write to a customer feedback email address. And the reality is, if not enough people complain, then they won't do anything about it. Basically, treating my issue as one of personal preference, rather than one of technical choices and security.

But on-line security is not at all a matter of personal preference. If a majority of users decided they didn't want as many security precautions as they've got, then would that mean you should remove them? I don't think so, and I don't think anyone else does either, but that might be what you'd get if you held a vote.

To add insult to injury: people don't use Windows just because "they prefer it". Most people's technical choices are governed by a much more complicated ecosystem of supply and capitalism and monopolies and corporate choices and evolving technologies.  And Windows computers are responsible for most of the worlds security issues - for lots of reasons. So TD's decision is reinforcing the serious internet security issue that we already have.

More specific to this issue - what actually happens when I try to use their system is that I get a "Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data." So that means, in implementing their new 'security' measure (presumably as a result of the Denial of Service attacks last month), I'd guess they have decided to filter incoming requests based on the user agent, and to only accept those that are in their "support" options. This sort of makes sense because it excludes old Windows IE users, which it should, but it's a terrible way to solve their problem, which it doesn't, because that's only a small part of the problem.

[Update later today: I've had no reply from TD, but a simple experiment shows me that my guess above was correct, i.e. they're filtering the incoming traffic based on the user agent string. I used the standard development tool with Chrome to use the IE9 user string, and voila, it connects. So my personal problem is easily fixed this way, and anyone else who's using a 'non-supported' platform. I'm really not impressed ..]

TD Bank Technical Department: I have written to you, please reply.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tyee: Bricolage and Drupal Integration

The Tyee is a site I've been involved with since 2006 when I wrote the first, 4.7 version of a Drupal module to integrate Drupal content into a static site that was being generated from bricolage. About a year ago, I met with Dawn Buie and Phillip Smith and we mapped out a number of ways to improve the Drupal integration on the site, including upgrading the Drupal to version 5 from 4.7. Various parts of that grand plan have been slowly incorporated into the site, but as of next week, there'll be a big leap forward that coincides with a new design [implemented in Bricolage by David Wheeler who wrote and maintains Bricolage] as well as a new Drupal release of the Bricolage integration module . Plans Application integration is tricky, and my first time round had quite a few issues. Here's a list of the improvements in the latest version: File space separation. Before, Drupal was installed in the apache document root, which is where bricolage was publishing it's co

Refactoring My Backup Process

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to spend a few hours on a Friday afternoon improving my backup process for my Blackfly managed hosting service . Two weeks later, I've published my ongoing work as an update to my backup-rsync project and have decided to share it with you. You might think I'm trying to compete for "least click-bait like title ever", but I'm going to claim this topic and project might be of interest to anyone who likes to think about refactoring , or who is implementing backups for container-based hosting (like mine ). Definition "Backup" is one of those overloaded words in both vernacular and computer-specific use, so I want to start with definitions. Since "a backup" is amongst the least interesting objects (unless it contains what you absolutely need in that moment), I think it's more interesting and useful to define backups functionally, i.e. A "backup process" is a process that 1. provides a degree of insuranc

drupal, engagement, mailing lists, email

I lived, worked and studied in Costa Rica from 1984 to 1989. Ostensibly, I was there to study Mathematics at the University, and indeed I graduated with an MSc. in Mathematics supervised by Ricardo Estrada (check that page, he even advertises me as one of his past students). And yes, I do have a nine page thesis that I wrote and defended in Spanish somewhere in my files, on a proof and extension of one of Ramanujan's theories. But mathematics is a pretty lonely endeavour, and what drew me back to Central America (after the first visit, which was more of an accident), was the life and politics. The time I lived there was extremely interesting (for me as an outsider, though also painful and tragic for it's inhabitants) because of the various wars that were largely fuelled by US regional hegemonic interests (of the usual corporate suspects and individuals) and neglect (of the politicians and public) - the Contra war in Nicaragua, the full-scale guerrilla wars in El Salvador and