Skip to main content

4 Launches and a Vacation

I'm about to go on vacation without my computer, so this is a bit of a catch-up kind of post. In the last 2 weeks, I helped launch four sites. You might think this would be the culmination of a lot of work for me, but in fact none of these sites were a lot of work for me - my role was more of the fixer, but not the prime mover. They were:

1. Toronto  Workforce Innovation Group

This was a project of Blackfly, the collaborative whole-site web development shop I've been working on since last fall. Most of the work of this site was done by my colleague Reema. It's a great showcase of how you can assemble some pretty standard parts, and with a minimum of coding, create a great looking, functional site that still reflects the complexity and specificity of an organization. She made good use of a theme from TopNotchThemes, and the interesting relationships between the "Challenges" section and the "Solutions" section was a nice text-book use of views/cck.

2. Rosenberg Foundation for Children

This is a small non-profit based in Western Massachusetts, started by the younger son of the Rosenbergs who were executed in the US in the 50s for treason. They're celebrating their 20th anniversary this year of supporting children of activists. I don't usually work with organizations in the US, just because of the complications of distance and sometimes culture, but I really liked the mission of this organization, and my contact there is super nice, and they came looking for me (because of my CiviCRM expertise), so I didn't want to say no. They had been suffering from the inadequate service of a previous provider, so it was a kind of a rescue project - extracting them from the previous server and all it's out-of-date modules and badly implemented features. They're now happily settled into a local (for them) service provider called Florence IT, who I've been pleased to get to know and work with.

3. Anne Mitchell

Anne Mitchell was the Executive Director of CIELAP for many years, now retired and doing independent freelancing. She's also a neighbour that I've known for a long time through Quaker connections, and last year I kept running into her on the street and chatting and thought I'd offer her a website to help her with her freelancing. I don't usually do small little sites like this, but Anne is not only extremely generous and nice, I like what she has to say. I hope you do too. As far as the Drupal goes, it's an example of what Drupal can do simply, and mostly out of the box.

4. La Leche League of Canada

This site was another refugee from a previous service provider. In this case, the provider had done a nice job of the design, but didn't know much about Drupal and even less about CiviCRM (and their CiviCRM-knowledgeable staff had then left ...). But La Leche did have a committee member who knew a lot about websites (she runs her own web consulting business), and was happy to learn about Drupal and CiviCRM, so in this case, all I did was an easy migration to my web server, and a bit of advice from time to time, and she finished off all the hard bits to get the site ready. I'm going to presume that you know about the la leche league, and if you don't, well, go visit their nice new site. I hadn't had any direct experience  with them before, but I know three La Leche leaders and they're all excellent people.

Lowdown on Launching a Drupal Website


I don't usually launch quite so many sites together, so it was a great opportunity to reflect on that process. I still don't like calling it a 'launch', which I presume is an attempt to make a technical switch sound more exciting that it is. I guess for some sites, there can be a little celebration, but here's what actually went into these Drupal site launches.

1. DNS

The domain name system is what maps domain names to IPs (which are then assigned to computers with a complementary system). So technically, a launch is typically just a change in a dns entry, which redirects browsers from the old machine (or placeholder site) to the new one. The tricky bit here is often that the dns can be hosted with the old provider, so you may need to create a new dns service, which then requires instead a change in the domain registration, which has it's own complications. In addition, you'll also want to consider what happens to mail and other uses of that domain and any subdomains, and decide on the behaviour of the domain with and without www. This is a classic example of how what should be a simple technical job can easily ambush you into a disaster, and it's a good idea to give this process ample advance thought and time.

2. Domain name change

If you've set up the site with a temporary domain, then switching it usually has implications for Drupal and CiviCRM. If you've built it well, then it can be relatively seamless, but inevitably there are a few places where you have to change a configuration or two or three, and then you'll want to clear some caches, and make sure that anyone who visits the old/temporary domain is processed nicely. All this is made more complicated by the fact that the dns system is distributed and changes are propagated in a somewhat unpredictable way, so you have to think through a variety of scenarios of how people will be experiencing your site over the following 12 hours or so.

The only useful little trick here I use is: after I've swtiched the DNS, i edit my own hosts file to force my DNS over ahead of most people, and then I can test how it will look before most people see it using the new domain. This is especially useful when you're inheriting a site from someone else who may not have been quite as thoughtful about the launch process (to be generous), and hacked in all sorts of hard-coded links to the temporary domain. Usually you can fix most of those using grep and replace within the theme, but there are some cases where you have to dig into the module settings to fix stuff (particularly with any links that go into generated mail messages, where they have to be absolute ..). If you've got time on your hands or if links to the old domain is going to really break your site, you can also run a spider through the site (say, using wget --mirror), and then check the output there.

3. Google, etc.

It turns out that the machine view of the internet is as important or more than the human view. I say that not because I love machines, but because many human views are filtered through the machine (I don't just mean your computer, but other computers). The prime example of this is how your site will appear when someone searches for it with google: not only does the ranking matter - the title and snippet will also affect how people experience your site, and you don't want to mess that up.

In other words, stuff like SEO and analytics are important to the long term health of your site. So after I've cleared all the caches and made sure the site looks good to humans, then I go into analytics and set up the account and tell google to start paying attention to it on its new domain, and then i go into google webmaster and do the same. When google recognizes the site, then I use the drupal module xmlsite map to generate a site map and submit it. This serves two functions: I get a nice listing of all the nodes so that i can check that they've got reasonable addresses (using pathauto of course), and when I submit it to google, it means a faster and more efficient spidering of the site.

After those three pieces are done (the third sometimes has to wait a day), and any little remaining bugs are identified and squashed, then the site is truly 'launched'. After a day or two, I'll also revisit the site at the temporary domain and make sure that any visits to that domain are suitably redirected (i.e. a permanent redirect).

So, I'm now off for a couple of weeks, and when I get back I'll try and finish off all the big projects that have actually been my bread and butter for the past 4 months.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tyee: Bricolage and Drupal Integration

The Tyee is a site I've been involved with since 2006 when I wrote the first, 4.7 version of a Drupal module to integrate Drupal content into a static site that was being generated from bricolage. About a year ago, I met with Dawn Buie and Phillip Smith and we mapped out a number of ways to improve the Drupal integration on the site, including upgrading the Drupal to version 5 from 4.7. Various parts of that grand plan have been slowly incorporated into the site, but as of next week, there'll be a big leap forward that coincides with a new design [implemented in Bricolage by David Wheeler who wrote and maintains Bricolage] as well as a new Drupal release of the Bricolage integration module . Plans Application integration is tricky, and my first time round had quite a few issues. Here's a list of the improvements in the latest version: File space separation. Before, Drupal was installed in the apache document root, which is where bricolage was publishing it's co

Refactoring My Backup Process

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to spend a few hours on a Friday afternoon improving my backup process for my Blackfly managed hosting service . Two weeks later, I've published my ongoing work as an update to my backup-rsync project and have decided to share it with you. You might think I'm trying to compete for "least click-bait like title ever", but I'm going to claim this topic and project might be of interest to anyone who likes to think about refactoring , or who is implementing backups for container-based hosting (like mine ). Definition "Backup" is one of those overloaded words in both vernacular and computer-specific use, so I want to start with definitions. Since "a backup" is amongst the least interesting objects (unless it contains what you absolutely need in that moment), I think it's more interesting and useful to define backups functionally, i.e. A "backup process" is a process that 1. provides a degree of insuranc

drupal, engagement, mailing lists, email

I lived, worked and studied in Costa Rica from 1984 to 1989. Ostensibly, I was there to study Mathematics at the University, and indeed I graduated with an MSc. in Mathematics supervised by Ricardo Estrada (check that page, he even advertises me as one of his past students). And yes, I do have a nine page thesis that I wrote and defended in Spanish somewhere in my files, on a proof and extension of one of Ramanujan's theories. But mathematics is a pretty lonely endeavour, and what drew me back to Central America (after the first visit, which was more of an accident), was the life and politics. The time I lived there was extremely interesting (for me as an outsider, though also painful and tragic for it's inhabitants) because of the various wars that were largely fuelled by US regional hegemonic interests (of the usual corporate suspects and individuals) and neglect (of the politicians and public) - the Contra war in Nicaragua, the full-scale guerrilla wars in El Salvador and