Skip to main content

Ontario Election Sites: Technology =~ Politics?

I'm hosting the Ontario Green Party's site, and am also the Drupal developer for it. There's currently an Ontario election campaign taking place, so I'm keeping busy. Someone sent me a dead link on the Ontario NDP site, so I started looking at the other party's sites. It reminded me of a discussion we had at the Toronto Penguin day a couple of years ago about the relationship between open source software (and Drupal in particular) and politics. I think there's something there - for example:

  1. the Toronto Drupal Users' Group's (supposed?) left-leaning politics
  2. the Howard Dean campaign (which was the beginning of the civicspace distribution of drupal)
  3. Richard Stallman's involvement in Venezuela

I'll let you use google to confirm or deny any of the above ...but also to be noted, there's nothing that prevents any cause from making use of open source technology for nefarious and/or right-wing causes (oops, my bias is showing!).

So, I thought I'd survey what kind of technology the four parties are using and see about correlations:

  1. Liberal: Using ASP (a microsoft proprietary technology), probably a custom application judging from the urls. Hosted using Microsoft-IIS/6.0 on a machine with a bluecho.com reverse lookup - BluEcho looks like it was just bought by EntirelyDigital (http://w3.entirelydigital.com/). They seem to be located on Bloor St. here in Toronto. Using a .ca domain.
  2. Conservative Also uses ASP (but not .aspx like the Liberal party), also a custom application, also on Microsoft-IIS/6.0. No comment regarding policies... But on a magma.ca server (an Ottawa-based company, has offices in Toronto), and on a .com domain (what does that say?)
  3. NDP Using Drupal, but still using 4.7 (last full update was only 4.7.3, I hope they've installed the security patches since then!). The domain resolves to an ip with no reverse lookup, so I'm not sure who they're hosting with. Their mail is using megamailservers.com, which is a mass hosting private label company for mail. Unfortunately, the secure domain which handles their donations was broken (no response) a couple of days ago, and now gives various errors (e.g. they registered the certificate to the wrong domain...). Conclusion: I think they need some technical help, but the ideals are good. Definitely: upgrade to Drupal 5. Did they choose a .com domain because it used to be cheaper? Trying to increase mass appeal?
  4. Green Party Using Drupal 5, hosted on a virtual server out in Kelowna (rackforce.com) with good green credentials, running CentOS (open source version of RedHat Enterprise Linux). Too bad they also host Windows. I had the advantage that I started the site from scratch, no baggage to carry.

Leaving conclusions for the reader to draw. Don't get carried away.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tyee: Bricolage and Drupal Integration

The Tyee is a site I've been involved with since 2006 when I wrote the first, 4.7 version of a Drupal module to integrate Drupal content into a static site that was being generated from bricolage. About a year ago, I met with Dawn Buie and Phillip Smith and we mapped out a number of ways to improve the Drupal integration on the site, including upgrading the Drupal to version 5 from 4.7. Various parts of that grand plan have been slowly incorporated into the site, but as of next week, there'll be a big leap forward that coincides with a new design [implemented in Bricolage by David Wheeler who wrote and maintains Bricolage] as well as a new Drupal release of the Bricolage integration module . Plans Application integration is tricky, and my first time round had quite a few issues. Here's a list of the improvements in the latest version: File space separation. Before, Drupal was installed in the apache document root, which is where bricolage was publishing it's co

Refactoring My Backup Process

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to spend a few hours on a Friday afternoon improving my backup process for my Blackfly managed hosting service . Two weeks later, I've published my ongoing work as an update to my backup-rsync project and have decided to share it with you. You might think I'm trying to compete for "least click-bait like title ever", but I'm going to claim this topic and project might be of interest to anyone who likes to think about refactoring , or who is implementing backups for container-based hosting (like mine ). Definition "Backup" is one of those overloaded words in both vernacular and computer-specific use, so I want to start with definitions. Since "a backup" is amongst the least interesting objects (unless it contains what you absolutely need in that moment), I think it's more interesting and useful to define backups functionally, i.e. A "backup process" is a process that 1. provides a degree of insuranc

drupal, engagement, mailing lists, email

I lived, worked and studied in Costa Rica from 1984 to 1989. Ostensibly, I was there to study Mathematics at the University, and indeed I graduated with an MSc. in Mathematics supervised by Ricardo Estrada (check that page, he even advertises me as one of his past students). And yes, I do have a nine page thesis that I wrote and defended in Spanish somewhere in my files, on a proof and extension of one of Ramanujan's theories. But mathematics is a pretty lonely endeavour, and what drew me back to Central America (after the first visit, which was more of an accident), was the life and politics. The time I lived there was extremely interesting (for me as an outsider, though also painful and tragic for it's inhabitants) because of the various wars that were largely fuelled by US regional hegemonic interests (of the usual corporate suspects and individuals) and neglect (of the politicians and public) - the Contra war in Nicaragua, the full-scale guerrilla wars in El Salvador and